Advent Season at First Presbyterian Church promises to help us focus on all of this. Together we will pray, shout and sing, “Come, Lord Jesus!” We invite you to come participate in the life of the church throughout this holy season:
- December 2: First Sunday of Advent. Communion worship services at 8:30 and 10:30 am.
- December 9: Second Sunday of Advent. One worship service at 10:30 for the Choral Cantata.
- December 17: Third Sunday of Advent. Worship services at 8:30 and 10:30 am.
- December 23: Fourth Sunday of Advent. Service of “Lessons and Carols” at 8:30 and 10:30 am.
- December 24: Christmas Eve Services: 2:00 pm at College View Retirement Home with Choir, 5:30 pm Family Service, 7:30 pm Traditional Service, 11:00 pm Evensong Service in the Chapel
The Choral Cantata on December 9 is a new work called Small Dancing Light. It is an original text that focuses on the themes of anticipation and revelation, built around the historical advent themes of hope, joy, love and peace. The author creates images of these themes in each of the texts, pointing toward the small dancing light in the manger. I have never heard a Cantata quite like this one, and it includes congregational Hymn singing of Christmas Carols as part of the music, so come planning to sing and be moved on your advent journey. Each Sunday of Advent, the choir will share one song from the Cantata as well, so we will have the chance to really immerse ourselves in the music.
- We will also be distributing an Advent Devotional guide to all of our members, written by the composer of the cantata. So as a church, we will walk through the season of Advent studying, praying and worshiping together. Please pick your family copy following church.