These photos were taken by participants in a forum class called “Seeing God Through Photography.” They learned about a prayer practice entitled Visio Divina and then walked around the church and grounds taking these photos. Feel free to use them to enhance your own prayer and contemplation.
To practice Visio Divina:
Choose a photo that speaks to you. Don’t overthink it…if something catches your attention, spend some time with it. Breathe deeply and slowly. Rest in the quiet, being open to God’s presence within you. If your mind wanders, do not worry, look at the image again.
- What do you see?
- Look deeper. What else do you see?
- What feelings are stirring in your heart as you look at this image?
- What thoughts come to mind as you look at this image?
- What questions arise?
- Where in your current life do you observe any of these same feelings, thoughts, questions?
- Does this image remind you of something in your past?
- Where in this image do you see signs of the Divine?
- How might this image relate to scriptural verses or stories?
- Try to articulate the prayer your eyes and heart are revealing to your spirit.